Viscri is one of the five villages that compose the commune of Bunești. The village is best known for the highly fortified Viscri fortified church, originally built around 1100. It is part of the Villages with Fortified Churches in Transylvania, designated in 1993 as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
This card was also sent by Malgosia.
© Photo Mioritics
In the 12th century, that is in the first stage of German colonization in Transylvania, the Saxons had built a Romanesque church, which, having been pulled down by the Tartar invasion in 12411242, was replaced by an edifice which has been preserved to the day. The plan of the former church had been simple, with a single nave and a semicircular apse on its eastern side.
Though small in size, the Gothic Church at Viscri impresses by the grandeur of its walls made of roughly shaped stones. Like the former Romanesque church, it has a single nave and a flat ceiling.
The furniture of the Church is decorated with folk Saxon motifs. - in: http://www.rotravel.com/Places/Transylvania/Fortresses-and-fortified-Churches/Viscri