Officials from the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, a Nazi and Soviet concentration camp just one hour by train from Berlin and Landshut, a town in Bavaria in the south-east of Germany.
Bild und Heimat - Reichenbach (Voglt)
DE-7910659, sent by Marc-André.
The Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp was designed by the SS architects and founded in 1936 by prisoners from the Emsland camps. It was conceived as a model extermination camp, where the ideas of the National Socialism were to be projected and the SS could subject their power on the convicts.
Between 1936 and 1945 over 200,000 prisoners were locked away in the camp. The first people sent to the Death Camp were political opponents of the Nazi regime. However, in the following years, the Nazis put away anyone they believed to be racially or biologically inferior.
Thousands of prisoners died due to illnesses, forced labor and starvation. Many others were victims of the SS extermination techniques.
At the end of the war, on 22 and 23 April 1945, the Soviet and Polish soldiers freed over 3,000 suffering prisoners, nurses and doctors. - in: https://www.introducingberlin.com/sachsenhausen-concentration-camp
© Fotostudio R. u. R. Hackl, Landshut
Landshut is of national importance because of its predominantly Gothic architecture. The Church of Saint Martin's construction began around 1389, under the architect Hans von Burghausen. The building was completed in 1500. With a height of 130.6 m (428 feet), the church tower is considered to be the tallest brick building in the world.