Thursday, September 23, 2010
"The formation of the Narva castle began in XIII-XIV cc. and was completed by the middle of the XVI c. It was fortification of a castle type. In XIV-XVI cc. the construction of the castle was continued, converting it into a convent house in accordance with traditions of the Livonian Order. It consisted of the main building, (rectangular in plan), with the tower Tall Hermann in its northwest corner. At the end of the XIV c. the tower got its final height (51 m), and in the XVIII c. it got a new pyramidal roof and a small watchtower in the middle of it. The castle was significantly damaged during the Second World War. Restoration works started in 1955 and they still go on. Since 1987 Narva Museum is housed in the restored rooms of the castle." - in: http://www.baltic-castles.org/portal/members/?id=19
Rouen is an historic capital city in Normandy, northern France. It was in Rouen where Joan of Arc was burnt in 1431.
obviously be a modern church, it had to display the XVIth century stainglasses that were previously installed in the Saint-Vincent church (destroyed during the bombings).
Sunday, September 19, 2010
The 1977 treaty established the canal as a neutral international waterway and even in times of war any vessel is guaranteed safe passage. After the 1999 hand-over, the U.S. and Panama jointly shared duties in defending the canal.
Friday, September 17, 2010
US-826182, sent by Kaella.
Some portuguese cities and places: Aveiro, Costa Nova, Costa de Prata, Peniche, Porto, Lisbon, Douro, Algarve, Arcos de Valdevez, Ponte de Lima, Viana do Castelo and Coimbra.
The Vieira Beach is still nowadays an excellent tourist and summer resort, with great conditions for all visitors.
Beyond a charming sandy area with typical colourful sun shades, the beach is endowed with other facilities, such as bars and esplanades over the sandy area.
A fantastic parallel sideway goes parallel to the beach, decorated with special Portuguese pavement, providing great walks and relaxing moments of contemplation." - in: http://www.getportugal.com/portugal/poi/14446/10/praia-da-vieira&lg=en
Finally, a Costa Nova, with the typical Moliceiros boats, very common in the Ria de Aveiro (estuary of the river Vouga). These boats were used to gather the "moliço" (algae and water plants), the exploitation of the salt-pans, the fluvial transportation of the maritime fishing and the river fishing
The boats, with about 15 meters long and 1,5 meters wide, are constructed with pine-tree. In the extremities, there are decorative panels with naif paintings of popular flavor, with a legend of satirical, romantic or religious character. In each boat there are four paintings, none of them repeated.
The Jabalquinto Palace was built in the 15h century and Baeza's best example of civil architecture, combining a flamboyant gothic structure with Isabelline decorations on it's façade. Today this building houses de International University of Andalucia.
The Porta de Santiago is one of the four main gates of the A Famosa fortress, and is the best evidence of Portuguese occupation hundreds of years ago. Located at the foot of St. Paul's Hill, it was built by the Portuguese in 1512 under the command of Alfonso de Albuquerque.
Hundreds of slaves and inmates were forced to work on building this concrete structure. It had a strong foundation and thick walls, and used boulders taken from the ruins of palaces, mosques and tombstones. Equipped with cannons, the fort with its four gates was once an object of fear and respect among the people of this city.
A Famosa was later expanded to include the surrounding hills and nearby European settlements. The surrounding area today includes Jalan Kota, Jalan Gereja, Jalan Mahkamah and Jalan Istana. In fact, the Portuguese had turned this fort into a Christian city, with brick buildings that included five churches, chapels, a monastery, a hospital, the governor's and bishop's palaces, and a castle.
For almost 150 years, this magnificent fort had successfully protected the Portuguese position in Melaka, until it was overrun by the Dutch. It was damaged during the attack, but the Dutch later repaired and renamed it VOC.
Its significance started to fade when the British settled here in the early 19th century. The British had almost destroyed the whole complex when Sir Stamford Raffles arrived in 1808. He was able to stop the destruction, but unfortunately what is left until today is nothing more than a gateway called Porta de Santiago with an embossed 'VOC' emblem above it." - in: http://www.virtualmalaysia.com/destination/porta%20de%20santiago%20(a%20famosa).html
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
The card was and signed by the Jyväskylä postcrossing meeting participants that took place on September 04. And the postcrossers there were: dollart,
Saturday, September 11, 2010
The Gulf of Girolata is located on the Western coast of Corsica.
"The Summer Palace is a palace in Beijing, China. The Summer Palace is mainly dominated by Longetivy Hill and the Kunming Lake. It covers an expanse of 2.9 square kilometers, three quarters of which is water. The central Kunming Lake covering 2.2 square kilometers was entirely man made and the excavated soil was used to build Longevity Hill. In the Summer Palace, one finds a variety of palaces, gardens, and other classical-style architectural structures.
The Summer Palace started out life as the Garden of Clear Ripples in 1750 (Reign Year 15 of Emperor Qianlong). Artisans reproduced the garden architecture styles of various palaces in China. Kunming Lake was created by extending an existing body of water to imitate the West Lake in Hangzhou.
In December 1998, UNESCO included the Summer Palace on its World Heritage List. It declared the Summer Palace "a masterpiece of Chinese landscape garden design. The natural landscape of hills and open water is combined with artificial features such as pavilions, halls, palaces, temples and bridges to form a harmonious ensemble of outstanding aesthetic value." It is a popular tourist destination but also serves as a recreational park." - in: wikipedia
On the card there's the tulous of Gaobei Tulou cluster at Gaotou village of Yongding County.
The rest of the cards, most of them from Harar and another showing the stelae in Tiya.
"The town was the centre of trade on the East African coast between Asia and Africa before the colonization of the mainland in the late 19th century after which the focus moved to Mombasa and Dar es Salaam. The town also became a base for many european explorers, particularly the portuguese, and colonizers from the late 19th century. David Livingstone used Stone Town as his base for preparing for his final expedition in 1866.
The old town is built on a triangular peninsula of land on the western coast of the island. The oldest part of the town consists of a warren of narrow alleys to houses, shops, bazaars and mosques. Its swahili architecture incorporates elements of Arab, Persian, Indian, European and African styles. The Arab houses are particularly notable because they have large and ornately carved wooden doors and other unusual features such as enclosed wooden verandas.
Two large buildings dominate the main front of Stone Town. One is Beit-El-Ajaib or the House of Wonders, which was built by Sultan Seyyid Barghash as a grand palace for ceremonial purposes. The other is the Arab Fort which stands on the site of a former Portuguese settlement and was converted to a fort during the 18th Century.
Stone Town has been designated by Unesco as a World Heritage Site. However, this designation does not provide complete protection for the town's heritage. In 1997, "of the 1709 buildings in the Stone Town, about 75% were in a deteriorating condition."" - in: wikipedia
Sunday, September 5, 2010
This last card is also a favorite and it was sent by Tanya "smooth".