Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Monthly Fav. Surprise RR * February '21


February's cards arrived very quickly. They came from Czech Rep., Netherlands, Belgium and Germany.

Radana says that there are only a few windmills in Czech Republic. I think I've never seen cards of mills from Czech Republic and this is my 1st one from there. 
I couldn't find much about this mill and the information on the back of the card is written in Czech but with the help of my penpal Zdenka, who translated the text for me, now I know a bit about this mill in Premyslovice, one of the oldest villages in Morava region. The mill, of Dutch style, was built in 1884 in the same place of the original that burnt down. It was used until 1945. In 1965 was classified as a National Technical Monument. It has been reconstructed and now is a private property.

© www.postcards-for-postcrossing.com
This is a beautiful card but I already had it. The other one is an official, this one was sent by Annerie.
De Zaandplatte, in Ruinen, is a smock mill built in 1964 and is listed as a Rijksmonument (national heritage site of the Netherlands). 
The present mill was built at Echten in 1866 by millwright Zilverberg for the Van Holthe family. In 1964, the mill was re-erected at Ruinen. It was used as a holiday home but its condition deteriorated over the years. In 1989 the Stichting Vrienden van der Ruinen Molen (English: Society of Friends of the Ruinen Mill) was set up to preserve the mill. 
In 1993 the mill was sold to the Gemeente Ruinen who owned it until 1995 when ownership was transferred to the Stichting Vrienden van der Ruinen Molen. A restoration of the mill to full working order started in 1995. The mill was officially opened on 6 September 1996. - in: wikipedia

I really don't associate Belgium with the sea but the country is bordered by the North Sea and its coastline is 66 km's in length. 
The card was sent by Karina.

www.papersisters.de
A new Happy Postcrossing from... card. In the future if I want to tell the my grandkids (that I won't have) about this pandemic, I can show them this card. In a few words, it sums up all about these days that we live. Lockdown, masks, sanitizer, social distance, quarantine, homeschooling and homeoffice are now very familiar words and expressions and the correct use of all these things definitely help the fight against this virus. 
Postcards matter even more these days and that is so true. Getting and sending cards really help me to get through all this madness. If it wasn't for postcrossing, and penpalling too, my days would be so much boring. 
Thanks Nadine for the great card. 

No comments: