Friday, March 22, 2024

PT RR - Surprise Group * February '24

In today's only post, I've postcards from Viseu and Chamusca in Portugal and from São Paulo, Brazil,  sent by Eric, Rui and Pedro.
 
When I receive these older postcards, I'm always curious to know what year the photos are from. Those cars are very old but I won't risk a year.   
Anyone who knows Viseu will easily recognize this square. Praça D. Duarte is located in the historic center, next to the south wing of the catedral. This square is named after King D. Duarte, who was born in Viseu in 1391 and whose statue was built in 1955. Surrounded by buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries, this square was the city's main center until the end of the 19th century.

I've never been to Chamusca, I don't associate any image with it and this is my first card from this town. This statue represents a working peasant family, erected in honor of the county's farmers.

The city of São Paulo is known for having some of the tallest buildings in Brazil. In the municipality, there are around 10 thousand tall buildings, with a height above 35 meters. Of this total, more than 150 are considered skyscrapers, with a height above 100 meters and there are 16 above 150 meters. It is the fourth city with the highest number of buildings and one of the cities with the most skyscrapers in the world.  
When I was in São Paulo I saw a similar view from the top of the Martineli Building. It is 105 meters high and between 1934 and 1947 it was the second skyscraper in Brazil.

No comments: