Photo: Ismo Männisto © Copyright Funky Banana O
FI-2375688, sent by Marjanna.
Uspenski Cathedral was built between 1862 and 1868. It was designed by Aleksei Gornostajev and based on a 16th-century church near Moscow. The bricks came from the Bomarsund fortress in Aland, which had been destroyed during the Crimean War in 1854.
Photographed and Published by Janne harala Tmi, Lahti
Today, the cathedral is the seat of the Archdiocese of Helsinki in the Finnish Orthodox Church. The Finnish Orthodox Church has about 60,000 members and is part of the Ecumenical Orthodox Patriarchate based in Constantinople. - in: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/finland/uspenski-orthodox-cathedral.htm