Sunday, December 27, 2015

RU-3927996 & RU-3927994

Officials from Russia, the 1st with some popular symbols of the country and the 2nd with the Church of the Intercession of the Mother of God in Vladivostok. 

RU-3927996, sent by Olga.
Every country has its offcial and non official symbols, Russia in no exception and these are a few of the most popular ones. 
Samovar - the Russian word samovar literally means “self-boiling.” The vessel consists of a metal container for boiling the water and a fire-pan with a tube. 
Bayan - is a type of chromatic button accordion developed in Russia in the early 20th century and named after the 11th-century bard Boyan.
Balalaika - is a plucking string instrument that resembles a guitar, but has a triangular shape and only three strings (or two in some cases). 
Valenki - or felt boots, are Russian national footwear. They are traditionally made of milled fleece, and each pair requires at least a kilogram of fleece that must undergo a long processing treatment.
Matryoshka -  is the most famous symbol of Russia and the most popular Russian souvenir all around the World. It is a set of wooden dolls nested into each other. The painted image on them is most often a woman wearing traditional Russian costume decorated with flowers and patterns.

Photo by Georgiy Khruschov
RU-3927994, sent by Lubov.
There are about 40 Russian Orthodox chapels in Vladivostok. The biggest and most majestic is the Church of the Intercession of the Mother of God.
The first church in honor of the Intercession of the Mother of God was built in 1902 on the territory of the town cemetery, the resting place of several generations of Vladivostok and Primorye residents. The five-domed Church of the Intercession was designed for seven hundred people. After the establishment of Soviet power in 1923, the cemetery was closed. In 1934, construction began on a city culture and recreation park. A year later, the Church of the Intercession was blown up.
Donations were collected in 1991 to restore the Church of the Intercession. However, its construction was delayed for various reasons. Finally, construction began in September 2004. In March 2007, 10 bells were consecrated, and installed in the bell tower on April 3, with the largest weighing 1,300 kg.
The new church can seat up to 1,000 people, and its appearance is as close as possible to the five-domed original. - in:

No comments: