Warnemünde Lighthouse is a lighthouse situated on the estuary of the Warnow river in Warnemünde, a district in the borough of Rostock. The lighthouse has a height of 36.9 metres (121 ft) and was put into service in 1898.
In 1862 it was decided to replace the old 8-metre-high stormlamp in Warnemünde with a new lighthouse. The construction of the lighthouse was officially approved in 1863, however, as a result of serious disagreement between its financiers, the town of Rostock, the district administrator (estates of the country: parliament of patricians and knights) and the Mecklenburg railways (the latter had owned the ferry boat route to Gedser in Denmark since 1886), the project did not actually start until 1897. It was commissioned one year later in October 1898. The building was planned and erected by the director of harbour construction, Friedrich Kerner. - in: wikipedia