Piran is considered one of the most photogenic, picturesque and beautiful towns in Slovenia. The town is located in southwestern Slovenia on the Gulf of Piran on the Adriatic Sea. It is one of the three major towns of Slovenian Istria.
The cards were sent by Ivana, Sanela and Paulo.
Photo by Janez Skok
The settlement began to develop in the 7th century, when Piran was mentioned in historical sources for the first time. Its masters changed throughout the centuries, with the increasing influence of Venice. In 1283 Piran accepted the authority of Venice, which lasted until the decline of the Venetian Republic in 1797. After that it fell under the authority of Austria until 1918. In the period between both world wars this territory belonged to Italy and later to Yugoslavia and Slovenia. - in: http://www.slovenia.si/visit/trails/piran-a-pearl-of-the-slovenian-mediterranean/
The town has much medieval architecture, with narrow streets and compact houses. Piran is the administrative centre of the local area and one of Slovenia's major tourist attractions. Until the mid-20th century, Italian was the dominant language, but was replaced by Slovene as demographics shifted.
Foto © A. Kosmac
Piran was heavily influenced by the Venetian Republic and Austria-Hungary, therefore the monuments differ greatly from those in inner parts of Slovenia. The Piran town walls were constructed to protect the town from Ottoman incursions; many parts of the town walls from different eras remain, and are of interest to tourists.
In the middle of the town is the Tartini Square, with a monument in memory of Giuseppe Tartini.
Piran is the birthplace of composer and violinist Giuseppe Tartini, who played an important role in shaping its cultural heritage. The town's main square, Tartini Square is named after him. In 1892, the 200th anniversary of his birth, a monument to Tartini was erected in Piran. Venetian artist Antonio Dal Zotto was commissioned to create a larger-than-life bronze statue, which was mounted on its pedestal in 1896. The statue dominates the square, overlooked by the Cathedral of Saint George. - in: wikipedia