A beautiful french official card from Annecy with the Basilica of the Visitation, the lake and the mountains, sent by a 11 years old girl.
Photo: M. Glatz * Editions REVALP - ALBERTVILLE
The Basilica of the Visitation at Annecy, highest symbol of the religious past of the city dominates Crêt d’Annecy and the surrounding area. A landmark throughout the city Annecy, one can observe the tip of the Visitation for miles around.
Built between 1909 and 1930, it was consecrated by Cardinal Tedeschini in 1949. On the Gothic Revival style, this basilica has acquired the name of Visitation to honour a hidden mystery of the church : « the visit of Mary to her cousin Elizabeth. »
There are inside beautiful mosaics and stained glass windows that recount the life of St. François de Sales and Jeanne de Chantal, whose bronze caskets are exposed, and a masterpiece of casting Paccard; a carillon of 36 bells.
The visitation is not only a historical site that can be visited. It also houses within it a community of Visitation nuns who lives in the shadow of the steeple, in a prayer life that she shares with visitors who are interested. - in: http://www.annecy-town.com/annecy/the-basilica-of-the-visitation/