Olkusz is a town in south Poland. Olkusz is called 'Silver Town" because of the large amount of silver that was found and mined here.
The postcard shows a tower and the remains of the city's wall.
Foto: M. Habinka
In the 14th century Olkusz was surrounded by walls. The builder (or actually the funder of the walls as the money for their building came from the royal treasury) was Casimir the Great. The total length of the Olkusz wall was about 1100 metres (320 metres long and 225 metres wide) and it surrounded 7 hectares of the town. The thickness of both walls and towers was about 2 meters. The original fortifications had about 15 towers and 2 or even 3 gates.
The walls were demolished at the beginning of the 19th century. - in: http://regio4trip.eu/en/region/biala-przemsza/tourism/slawkowska-gate-in-olkusz,126.html