Elvas is an episcopal city and frontier fortress of Portugal, located in the district of Portalegre in Alentejo. It is situated about 230 km east of Lisbon, and about 15 km west of the Spanish fortress of Badajoz.
Elvas houses the largest collection of bastioned fortifications in the world, which are on the Unesco's Tentative List.
The Amoreira Aqueduct was designed by Francisco de Arruda and its construction started in 1537 and ended only in 1620. The aqueduct has an extension of about eight kilometres, with underground galleries, a ground-level canal and arcade canal reaching a maximum height of 31 meters. With the construction of the bastioned walls in the 12th century, the aqueduct became an obstacle to the construction of new fortifications, which alamost led to its demolition. Is one of the most beautiful examples of hydraulic architecture of Portugal, becoming a symbol of Elvas.