Friday, March 20, 2020

PT RR - Group 147 * Surprise February '20

Can we go back to February, when life was still pretty much normal and the virus still didn't dominate all aspects of our existence? Can we? 
I don't thing so but at least I can travel back in time with postcards. These brought me back some memories of happier times. 

© Edição Vistal * Foto: M. Boeck - Design: G. A. Wittich
If I ever rode a donkey, it was when I was a child and I don't have any memories of that. 
Back in the past donkeys were considered the "poor men's tractor" but nowadays machines have taken over donkeys place on rural areas and they've become walking companions. In Algarve there are several offers of donkey trekking. 
The card was sent by Inês.

In 2016 I travelled to São Miguel island and had the oportunity to eat its traditional volcano-cooked stew. It all starts by collecting ingredients in a pot: sausages produced on the island (meat sausage, moorish sausage and blood sausage), vegetables (carrots, turnips, cabbage, green cabbage, savoy cabbage, white potatoes, sweet potatoes and yams) and meats (chicken, of pork and the tasty and succulent meat of cattle raised on pasture and fed essentially with grass). The pot is then inserted into a 1m-deep hole at or near the hot springs at Furnas Lake, where the stew will cook at around 100°C for the next six to eight hours.
Card sent by Paulo.

In 1998 I've spent 2 weeks of my summer holidays in Sesimbra. 
In Sesimbra, xávega art, also known as “chincha”, or “art of the caneiro”, has been practiced for many decades in the bay. 
Among the most caught species are mackerel, horse mackerel, sea bass, mullet, snapper, poplar, cuttlefish and squid.
Card sent by Rui.

No comments: