Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Windmill in Faial - Portugal

I've been on holidays these last weeks and this time I decided to visit one of the Azores islands. Two weeks ago I was flying to Faial. Although it's a small island, there's a lot to see, including windmills, which I'm a big fan of. I saw two, in Lomba da Conceição and apparently there is a third there, this one, which I sadly missed.
 
Foto: Maurício Abreu
The windmills of Lomba da Conceição are a set of 3 windmills, built at the end of the 19th century.
The base of the mills was built in stone masonry. On these bases rest the mobile structures, made of wood, painted red. The conical roofs are coated with zinc plate. In addition to their color, the masts are quite characteristic. Two of the mills have Flemish-influenced grid sails, and another has Portuguese-influenced triangular sails.
The windmills can be visited and offer a fantastic view over the island of Pico and the city of Horta. - in:
https://www.odyssea.eu

No comments: