A lithuanian official card with the lighthouse on the Hill of Urbas in Nida.
Photo: Antanas Varanka
This is one of the largest lighthouses on Lithuanian seacoast.
During the World War II, a former lighthouse built in 1874, it was blown up, restored in 1953, and later reconstructed.
Nida's present lighthouse is made of ferroconcrete and painted in red-white horizontal lines. The tower is 29.3 m high. It sends flashlight signals, which are seen 41 km to the sea (22 sea miles).The crystal lens was made in Iziumi factory in Charkov district (Ukraine). Before it was installed in the lighthouse, the lens won an award on the exhibition in France.
The goal of the Nida Lighthouse is to help sailors orienteering in the Baltic Sea. The flash signs (two short and one long) tell them that there is no seaport here. - in: http://www.visitneringa.com/en/main/places?id=43489