It was erected as a control post at the crossing of the Koritnica river.
The card was sent by "karmi.
Foto © J. Skok, M. SimicThe time of origin of the older fortress at this site is not known, but a wooden building stood there already in the second half of the 15th century to defend the Friuli Plain and the Venetian Republic against the Turks.
In the year 1509 the Austrians built new walls. The fortress was probably renewed and expanded after the earthquake of 1511.
Rebuilding in the second half of the 17th century turned it into a more pleasant residence.
In 1797 the French army burnt down and destroyed the medieval fortress.
The new, present fortress was built on the same pass over the river in the years 1881-1882.
After World War II the fortress lost its strategic importance and therefore fell into disrepair.
Since 1987 it has been continuously renovated.
Inside there is a smaller tourist office, a presentation of the history of the fortress and its surroundings, a local painting gallery and a wedding hall. - in: http://www.slovenia.info/?utrdba_arhitekturne=6226