Sunday, March 14, 2010

Official cards of the week

Last week i've sent a few official cards and received 4.
These cards are from Serbia, Belgium, Estonia and Taiwan.

RS-5863, sent by Judit.
"Novi Sad is the capital of the northern Serbian province of Vojvodina. The city lies in the southern part of Central Europe's Pannonian Plain, on both banks of the Danube river.Is Serbia's second largest city, after Belgrade.
Petrovaradin Fortress is a fortress located in the province of Vojvodina, on the right bank of the Danube river. The cornerstone of the present-day southern part of the fortress was laid on October 18, 1692, by Prince Croy. Petrovaradin Fortress has many underground tunnels as well (16 km of underground countermine system)." - in:
wikipedia

BE-54061, sent by Jolien.
"The belfry of Bruges, or Belfort, is a medieval bell tower in the historical center of Bruges, Belgium. One of the city's most prominent symbols, the belfry formerly housed a treasury and the municipal archives, and served as an observation post for spotting fires and other danger. A narrow, steep staircase of 366 steps, accessible by the public for an entry fee, leads to the top of the 83-meter-high building, which leans about a meter to the east.
To the sides and back of the tower stands the former market hall, a rectangular building only 44 m broad but 84 m deep, with an inner courtyard. The belfry, accordingly, is also known as the Halletoren (tower of the halls)." - in: wikipedia

EE-65744, sent by Ene.
"Sangaste Castle, misleadingly described in most local brochures as being a 'copy' of Windsor Castle, isin fact a wildly eccentric, red-brick, neo-Gothic manor house, which until recently had very basic accommodation with very little appeal for most tourists, let alone the British royal family (not surprisingly the Queen and Prince Philip gave it a miss when they came to Estonia in October 2006). For many years it served as a children's holiday home and it has scarcely been refurbished since then, but this should not put off passing visitors who can eat well here and can try to make sense of the building, both inside and out. Refurbishment started in 2006 so in due course the interior of the building will become a fully functional conference centre.
The owner of the building throughout its existence as a private house was the scientist Count Magnus von Berg (1845-1938), who become famous for his work on the cultivation of rye. He commissioned this house in 1874.
The large reception/meeting rooms on the ground floor exhibit hunting trophies. The first floor has a small exhibition of items and photographs linked to the family.
Von Berg, rather than Hippius, must have been responsible for the total eccentricity that the building now represents. Every window is different, as are all the porches and the towers.
In the park at the back of the castle is an oak tree allegedly planted by Peter the Great. This park is often also called an 'English garden' but is largely a play area for children with a wood in the background. This wood contains about 300 different species of tree." - in:
http://www.aviastar.org/travel/gallery.php?dir=eesti/sangaste

DE-541056, sent by Daniel.
This is an official from Germany but the card is from Taiwan, the sender is from there.
This is the Martial Temple, in Yanshuei Town, used to commemorate Guan Yu, who is one of the bravest and best known generals in chinese history. He lived in the "Three Kingdoms Era" (208-280 A. D) and in 1662, his theophany, is said to have rescued Yanshuei from a terrible plague. The temple was built as a thank you and his birthday is celebrated every year.

No comments: