Thursday, November 11, 2010

Terracotta Army - China

I finally found a great card showing the Terracotta Army, thanks to Ran "ranwe". This army is on the Unesco World Heritage Site list since 1987 under the name "Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor" and is a new unesco in my collection.

"The Terracotta Army is a collection of terracotta sculptures depicting the armies of Qin Shi Huang, the First Emperor of China.

The figures, dating from 210 BC, were discovered in 1974 by some local farmers near Xi'an, Shaanxi province, China near the Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor.

The figures vary in height 1.83–1.95 metres (6.0–6.4 ft), according to their roles, with the tallest being the generals. The figures include warriors, chariots, horses, officials, acrobats, strongmen, and musicians. Current estimates are that in the three pits containing the Terracotta Army there were over 8,000 soldiers, 130 chariots with 520 horses and 150 cavalry horses, the majority of which are still buried in the pits." - in: wikipedia

2 comments:

MadeInCanarias said...

What a great card! I have always liked that place.

Ria and Mike said...

http://rias-postcard-and-stamps.blogspot.com/

finally got myself set up with a blog for my
postcards and stamps. I hope we can
exchange some postcards.
send me your address.

best wishes
Ria

There is something unique about terracotta