After the UE and Croatian flags, now I've the Japanese flag. This makes a total of 11 flags in my FOTW collection.
JP-1514191, sent by reoreo.
Japan has an area of 377.972.28 km², a population of 127.110.047 and its capital is Tokyo.
* Land of the rising sun - stratovolcanic archipelago 0f 6852 islands. The largest are Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu and Shikoku, which make 97% of Japan's land area;
* Tokyo and surrounding prefectures is the world's largest metropolitan are (35 mil. residents) and the world's largest urban agglomeration economy:
* Food: sushi, ramen, tempura;
* Onsen (hot springs);
* Kawaii culture;
* Capsule hotels: extremely small rooms/capsules, providing cheap, basic overnight accomodation;
* World's oldest imperial family - founded in 660 BC by Emperor Jimmu;
* Since 1989, Akihito is the Emperor of Japan;
* Samurai - Military nobility and officer caste of medieval and early-modern Japan.