Thursday, March 15, 2018

Shore Temple - India

This year I've only received a postcard from a new UNESCO site so far, it is not easy to add new places to my collection.
I'm not getting cards from new places but every now and then I received cards from places I'm already familar with. A few days ago I've received an Indian official card with Shore Temple of Mahabalipuram, I'm posting it today together with the postcard sent by Claus in 2009.

 The Shore Temple is so named because it overlooks the shore of the Bay of Bengal. It is a structural temple, built with blocks of granite, dating from the 8th century AD. As one of the Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram, it has been classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1984. 

IN-283668, sent by Sachin.
The main Shore Temple (...) is a five-storied structural Hindu temple rather than rock-cut as are the other monuments at the site. Built with sculpted granite stones hauled from a nearby quarry, it is the earliest important structural temple in South India. Its pyramidal structure is 60 feet (18 m) high and sits on a 50 feet (15 m) square platform. 
The temple is a combination of three shrines. The main shrine is dedicated to Shiva as is the smaller second shrine. A small third shrine, between the two, is dedicated to a reclining Vishnu. - in: wikipedia

No comments: