Thursday, April 14, 2022

Madeira Embroidery

A few weeks ago Paula visited Madeira for the 1st time. In less than two weeks I'll visit Madeira for the 3rd time. After two and a half years, I'll fly again and I can't wait to see myself at the airport again!! I'm counting the days. This will be my 3rd visit to the island and I'm pretty sure I'll come back in the future. I'll still have a lot to see and do. 
My 1st visit was in 2010 and this was one of the cards I got there, now I've it written and stamped and I like it even more. 
 
The hand embroidery of Madeira is generally recognised as being the finest of its kind available in the world, and is part of the history and culture of Madeira.

 
Copyright by Fotoverlag Huber
The origins of Madeira Embroidery dates back to the early days of colonization of the Madeira Islands.
However, it was only after the second half of the 19th century that this product was acknowledged not only on regional and national basis, but also internationally, since some English traders established in Funchal exporting embroidered pieces to England.
With about 150 years of history, Madeira’s Embroidery production process continues with the same authenticity since its beginning and it is estimated that about 30 companies currently exist in the region manufacturing Madeira Embroidery, as well as, around 3000 Embroiderers who dedicate themselves to the art of embroidery on a daily basis. - in:
 https://www.visitmadeira.com

No comments: