Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Rabsztyn Castle - Poland

I'm ok, don't worry!! It has been more than a month since my last post and that was mainly because I was too busy with work, moving to a new house and lack of cards. Due to the corona virus I had a different schedule at work and when I got home was already too late and I was too tired to make any updates. Almost 2 weeks ago I moved to a new house, which kept me busy packing, unpacking and only got internet again yesterday. 
I can only make updates if i've any cards to show and in the last weeks I didn't get many. Mail distribution is slow and weird all over the world. All of my cards now travel for more than a month, even to Europe!! I definitely miss the old days. 
Cards, I'm here to write about cards. One of the last, if not the last, official that I got in my old address, was the multiview of Rabsztyn castle in Poland, one of the Eagle Nest Castles. 

 Photo by Krysztof Kaminski
 Originally built by King Kazimierz to protect the money-making mining centre of nearby Olkusz, Rabsztyn actually consists of two separate castles – the original 14th century upper castle and the much-larger lower castle added at its foot in the 17th century in the Renaissance style. The Swedes saw to it that neither was inhabitable shortly thereafter during their 17th century invasion. Today there is almost nothing to see of the upper castle, in fact most won’t even be able to discern the remnants of its walls from the rock surrounding it. 

PL-1677448, sent by Zaneta.
The upper castle’s main feature was a cylindrical tower which irreverent fortuneseekers dynamited in the late 1800s. The walls of the lower castle still stand giving some indication of the size of this former strong-(but not strong enough)-hold, and recently the castle gate, several bridges and one of the towers was restored. Today it houses a small historical museum. - in: http://www.inyourpocket.com/poland

No comments: