Thursday, June 17, 2021

Vila Nova de Cerveira - Portugal

In 2019, when Maria do Céu sent me the 1st of these postcards, I didn't know that this view of the river Minho could be seen in Vila Nova de Cerveira and the postcard did not specify the location. When I was doing some research on what to do during my holidays, I found out a trail in Cerveira which passes by some viewpoints from where you can see this view. I had to go there. Even thought it wasn't that ease to get there, it was worth the effort. This hike was one of the things I most enjoyed doing during my week on holidays in Minho.

The Minho is the longest river in Galicia, sharing the border with Portugal, with a length of 340 kilometres (210 mi). By discharge, it is the fourth river of the Iberian peninsula, after the Douro, Ebro and Tagus.

Foto de Andrea Fernandes
The source of the Minho lies north of Lugo in Galicia, in a place called Pedregal de Irimia. 
From its source to its outlet in the Atlantic, it runs 340 kilometers. In the last 75 kilometers of its route, between Melgaço and the mouth, the river serves as the border between Spain and Portugal.

Nunes de Almeida Editores
Trilho do Cervo is a circular hiking trail of about eight kilometers. It begins and ends at the Casa do Turismo de Cerveira, passes by the Fort of Lovelhe and continues towards the hill, passing by the Ermida da Senhora da Encarnação. Shortly after is Alto do Castro, where you can see the Cervo. In addition to the Cervo sculpture, there is a very intragrammble swing that delights children and adults.... in this case, I think it will be more for the adults.

No comments: