Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Angla Windmills - Estonia

Churches and castles are a must whenever I travel and recently I've also included mills on my list. A few weeks ago I've been to the north of Portugal, in Viana do Castelo, and I've seen a few mills, they were actually the reason why I decided to visit the city. 
On Saaremaa island, Estonia, is also possible to visit windmills and also  test your skills at traditional handicrafts, take part in heritage culture events and taste Angla rye bread in the Angla Heritage Center, inaugurated in 2011.
 
 Photo: Indrek Pajuste
The only windmill park in Saaremaa we can find an entire hill of windmills that has been preserved in its original form. Out of the five surviving windmills, four are typical Saaremaa post mills, built at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century. Among them stands a slightly taller Dutch-type tower mill from 1927, with the miller's house next to it.

No comments: