Saturday, February 5, 2022

GB-1483696

I've been to Edinburgh but when I looked up about the main attractions of the city, I never found anything about Dean Village. Some time after the trip I read about it somewhere and I was like "wow, what a great place, how could I missed it?!" I've always said that I want to visit Edinburgh again and next time I won't miss Dean Village, that's for sure. 

Photo: D. Noble, John Hinde Studios

GB-1483696, sent by Fran.
Once a village outside the main city, it was eventually integrated with Edinburgh in the 19th century as the city expanded, but you can still experience its tranquil, idyllic atmosphere.
Around the village, you can see indicators of its origins and functions. The village is built on the banks of the Water of Leith, the river traversing the north of Edinburgh, and the original residents worked milling grain using the water mills in the river, an industry which thrived for around 800 years.
You might not spot the village easily at first, as it lies in a valley lower than the rest of the city. The Dean Bridge was built over the valley, to make it easier to cross it, and many visitors will simply go over the bridge, and not realise that this idyllic area lies below, but it’s well worth stopping to explore! - in: https://cityexplorerstours.com-village

No comments: